For decades, bed bugs were nothing more than a myth told to children.
They had been essentially eliminated in the 1940’s, and became a cute nighttime warning that was meant mostly in jest while putting kids to sleep.
But in the past decade, bed bugs have become a significant concern once again – and this time, they have grown resistant to the previous methods used to treat them, which means it is crucial to find a bed bug expert in Vancouver that is capable of eliminating them.
Bed bugs are small parasitic insects that feed on blood.
They may be as small as 1mm, and grow no more than 6mm in length, and while they primarily live inside bedrooms and hotels, they may also be found in living rooms, office buildings – even movie theaters.
Bed bugs are skilled hiders.
During the day, they hide inside of crevices, mattress folds, and in between baseboards. At night, when they feel it’s safe, they will climb onto an unsuspecting victim – usually someone that is asleep – and then feed on their blood.
- They can ingest up to 7 times their weight
- Bed Bugs are able to live up to 12-14 months without a meal in ideal conditions.
- Bed bug infestations have nothing to do with cleanliness
- Severe infestation can result in over 500 bites in a single night
- Many people live with Bed Bugs without even knowing it
- Eggs hatch within 10-14 days & only take 4 weeks to become fully grown
- New York has the most reported cases in 2013
- Reported cases have increased over 500% in the last 3 years
- Bed Bug infestations cause increased stress, anxiety and insomnia
- Females can lay up to 500 eggs over their lifetime
(1 mm long)
First Stage Larva
(1. 5 mm long) Takes blood meal then molts.
Second Stage Larva
(2 mm long) Takes blood meal then molts.
Third Stage Larva
(2.5 mm long) Takes blood meal then molts.
Fourth Stage Larva
(3 mm long) Takes blood meal then molts.
Fitth Stage Larva
(4.5 mm long) Takes blood meal then molts.
(5.5 mm long) Takes repeated blood meals over several weeks.
(5.5 mm long) Females lay up to 5 eggs per day, continuously.
Rarely are you able to feel a bed bug bite, as their saliva has a natural painkiller that numbs the area. The clearest sign is presence of a single bed bug, however that is often difficult as these pests hide so well. Instead, what we look for is the following:
- Tell Tale Bites – Many people start getting bites, and although bites are not the always a sure sign of bed bugs, they should start the alarm bells that some little “bug” is around.
- 70% of people – don’t show signs of bed bug bites.
- Presence of Skin or Feces – Bed bugs often leave remnants. Small black specks on seams of the mattress, boxspring or bed frame of the bed may be their poop, and they will occasionally leave their exoskeletons.
- Smell – Very severe infestations may have a sweet and sour smell to them, almost like rotting raspberries.
Bed Bug Protection and Prevention
Bed bugs are excellent hitchhikers, and can live for months without feeding. The most common way to bring bed bugs into your home is to visit a hotel or motel that is infested with bed bugs, and have them hitch a ride on your clothes or luggage back to your property.
However, you can also get bed bugs from any location that has an infestation – including your workplace, a friend’s house, and more. Bed bugs can also travel, and if your neighbors have a bad bed bug infestation, they may travel next door to your property looking to breed.
Call Today for a Bed Bug Inspection
If you are concerned that you may have bed bugs, call us today at 604-782-6843.
Our technicians will come to your home and inspect your property completely.
When requested, we can also send our K-9 unit – trained dogs that can sniff out bed bugs from anywhere in your home. If we see any signs of bed bugs, we’ll talk to you about scheduling your bed bug removal service, and provide you with costs and options.
Actual bed bugs trying to hide in the mattress seams is very common.
Black stains on the mattress are from bed bugs defecating and are a sign of infestation.
Protect Your Home
Inspect the things that you bring into your home, especially used clothing, box springs, mattresses and furniture. Put new (or used) clothing into the dryer on high heat for an hour to kill all stages of bed bugs.
Protect Your Bed
Use bed bug-proof covers (bed bug encasement) for your mattress, box spring and pillows.
Protect Yourself While Traveling
Research hotels before you book, inspect your room before you settle in, place your luggage on a luggage rack instead of the bed, check clothes and belongings, and safely unpack and treat luggage and clothes when returning.
Bed Bug Removal
The elimination of bed bugs can be an exhausting and overwhelming experience. Don’t sit around and let their numbers grow, call us and we’ll begin treatments immediately to restore your peace of mind.
Canadian Bed Bug understands the frustration and discomfort that is caused by a bed bug infestation and subsequent treatment. We make it as easy as possible for you by providing a full-service program that includes furniture and mattress removal, bagging up clothes and full apartment and house clean-outs.